Have you ever thought about it that why you’re attached to your mobile phone?
What are you doing on your mobile phone the entire day?
I know you are scrolling, but why is that happening?
It’s merely because of the content.
The content that you are consuming. Be it in the form of images, videos, blogs, texts, etc. Why are you consuming those content? Because you like it and you resonate with it.
So we can conclude that we are attached to our mobile phones to consume content most of the time.
Now, you see, there’s a reason why everyone says “Content is King” or “Content is Everything.”
And today, we will talk about what is Content Marketing and why it’s the most important form of marketing.
Content Marketing Definition
According to Hubspot, “Content marketing is the process of planning, creating, distributing, sharing, and publishing content to reach your target audience. It can boost factors like brand awareness, sales, reach, interactions, and loyalty.”
Basically, Content Marketing is a long-term strategy that focuses on creating quality content that resonates with your audience and converts them into your customers. The more they consume, the more inclined they will be towards you.
Content Marketing is all about storytelling. It’s been there for ages, and the only reason that’s the case is that people love telling stories. So let’s find out how it all began.
As I mentioned earlier, that Content Marketing had been there for ages. But when did it actually began?
100 years ago?
No, Content Marketing is way older than that.
It all began in the year 1732 when Benjamin Franklin first published the yearly Poor Richard’s Almanack. The goal was to promote his printing business.
Therefore, you see, it all began almost 300 years ago. But we think that this term is a new one, don’t we?
Here’s a look at an infographic shared by the Content Marketing Institute that depicts the History Of Content Marketing.
Why is Content Marketing Important?
Now, after talking about what Content Marketing is and its history, the most obvious question that arises is why businesses should focus on Content Marketing and whether it’s relevant today or not.
- Content Marketing helps you develop a bond or a relationship with your customers and, in turn, increases loyalty.
- It educates your prospects or leads about the products or services you offer.
- Through the medium of storytelling, you will make your prospects realize their problems and how you have just the perfect solution.
- It will be easier for you to increase conversions through content marketing because your prospects will already be connected to your brand.
Benefits of Content Marketing
- More Website Content in the form of blogs, ebooks, videos, increasing audience retention.
- Higher visibility on search engines because of one blog post that you add on your website, google starts indexing that particular page. Though the quality of the content matters.
- Gain Trust of the audience: When you provide value to your audience through your content without asking anything in return, they start trusting what you have to offer.
- More Social Media Traffic: You can repurpose your website content in the form of images, videos, etc., for your social media handles; people will relate to it and will share it with their friends and families, increasing your followers.
- Generate Leads: The more quality content you provide to your target audience, the more they are likely to sign up for your offerings.
- Boost Conversions: Including a CTA in your content increases the chances of converting your prospects because they are already consuming your content.
Content Marketing Strategy
Now, the very first step for you as a business owner is to set goals. Goals that are in line with your business and marketing plans. Goals that will keep your strategies on track.
- Improve Brand Awareness: The most important step for your business is to improve the brand awareness to acquire more customers and make them recall and recognize your brand at the right time.
- Increased Website Traffic: Through content marketing, you can get people to your website, thus increasing website traffic. Therefore, helping you achieve your other main goals.
- Generate Revenue: When you offer content that’s engaging and useful, you generate leads for your business, which in turn helps in converting them into your customers. The more customers you get, the more revenue you will generate.
- Build Trust and Loyalty: Your goal can be to improve your brand’s rapport to establish your brand as a thought leader.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is crucial for businesses if your goal can be to get your website to rank higher on search engines.
- Increased engagement: Increased engagement will benefit from increasing website traffic and building brand authority.
It’s up to you to decide your goals. Once it’s ready, you can move on to the next step.
Determine your KPIs
The main advantage of digital marketing is you can measure the results efficiently. Therefore, you have to make sure that you make your goals specific and measurable to achieve them.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) is a type of measure that enables businesses to measure their actual performance against the set goals.
For brand awareness, KPIs can be site traffic, social media followers, subscription sign-ups.
For generating revenue, KPIs can be sales, website traffic.
KPIs can be reviews, referrals, followers, mentions, and returning customers for building trust and loyalty.
Type Of Content
Now, it’s time to decide on the type of content, and what better way to do it than referring to your buyer’s persona. You have to think about your target audience, and you have to keep yourself in their shoes to understand their problems. Ask yourself various questions about the challenges, problems your target audience is facing, and how you can help them and solve their problems. Keep in mind your competitors and focus on what kind of content is working for them. Is it social media posts, infographics, e-books, blog posts, podcasts, or video content? Do your research and then finalize the type of content you are going to create to move forward.
Choose your channel
One of the most important steps is to decide on the channel type to share your content on. If you’re creating video content, then social media channels make sense for you.
Make sure to decide the right channels for your content; otherwise, you will be spending a hell lot of your money without getting close to the desired results.
Setting the right budget for your content marketing will always keep you in check. But to do that, you need first to be clear about the channels you will be marketing your content on.
Based on that, you can decide whether you need any specific tools to create those content or schedule and measure the results.
Be clear and concise in your approach.
Create and distribute
After deciding on the budget, it’s time for you to create those content and distribute it. This will lead to brand awareness, where you will generate leads for your business and convert them into your customers. Consistency is, however, key over here. You have to make sure that you create and distribute content consistently and with proper planning. Create an editorial content calendar to do so. This will keep you focused, and you won’t face any problems with creating content at the last minute.
Analyzing and measuring your results is the most important step for your business.
So that you can make the necessary changes that are required and make your content marketing more efficient.
Content marketing can be a game-changer for businesses if done properly. Therefore, if you want to boost your revenue and build your brand, get started with content marketing today and hire content writers who can come up with quality content. If you want to learn more about content writing then I would recommend you to read this article written by Uday Govind.
If you are a startup and want to learn why you should invest in content marketing, then read this blog. Best 5 Reasons For Startups To Invest In Content Marketing by Zenarrative to gain some incredible insights.
And if you want to gain more insights on content marketing, I strongly recommend reading:
- THE INCREDIBLE STORY OF CONTENT MARKETING by Yasar Fakhri
- Content Marketing Strategy – The Process by Richard Paul.
I wrote the article because of my interest in online marketing and how it fascinates me. I hope you like it and if you do, please share the blog post and kindly leave a comment in the comment section below.